A former Ottawa police officer who worked in the intimate partner violence unit for four years and later threatened to kill his ex-partner

A former Ottawa police officer who worked in the intimate partner violence unit for four years and later threatened to kill his ex-partner, using a knife during a domestic dispute in 2020, has admitted that his behavior discredited the police.

Det. Cst. 43-year-old Yurik Brisbois pleaded guilty last week to two counts of discreditable conduct under the Police Services Act. (In March, he was found guilty of uttering death threats and possession of a weapon for committing an offence.)

Hearing officer, Supervisor Chris Reome accepted the guilty plea and stated during Wednesday's hearing that it would take him about a month to decide on the penalty.

The police prosecutor and Brisbois' representative jointly suggested that a two-year demotion would be appropriate.

At a disciplinary hearing, Ottawa police lawyer and prosecutor Vanessa Stewart said society "would be shocked to learn" that Brisbois had previously worked in the intimate partner violence unit and used the knowledge he gained there to "as he described it, skate" with his ex-partner, who also works in the police force.

Her identity is protected by a publication ban.

"He used this position" in his threats "He was comfortable using this position as part of his violence threats towards [her], and instead of using his knowledge to help [her] or help himself get out of these relationships, he used them to cause harm. significantly aggravates [the misconduct]," Stewart said at the hearing officer.

She cited Brisbois' statements in his criminal case, in which he said, "I crossed the line a lot because of the dramatic factors, but I know ... not to cross her."

"I never crossed the line into the criminal world, but if you want to say that I was skating, that I was close to it, I can accept that. But I never crossed that line and didn't do anything that would scare her," Brisbois said.

Disciplinary charges by the internal police were laid at the end of July, several months after Brisbois was found guilty in criminal court.

What happened A family dispute occurred on July 24, 2020, when Brisbois came out of the basement while his ex-partner was preparing dinner. They had recently separated but were still living together.

She thought he might have used marijuana or alcohol, and an argument began when Brisbois noticed she was nervous, yelling at her, said Stewart, recounting the findings of the criminal trial judge.

"In a rage," Brisbois took a large kitchen knife, approached his ex-partner, and waved the knife up and down, shouting at her, Stewart said, repeating the trial judge's findings.

At one point, he struck the knife on a hard countertop, bending the tip. He also struck the knife on the table and threw it in the sink with a cutting board and vegetables.

According to Stewart, Brisbois noticed that someone would visit over the weekend and warned his ex-partner not to make the guest uncomfortable.

"If you make her feel uncomfortable, I'll kill you," Brisbois told his ex.

Stewart said he repeated the words "damn it, I'll kill you" two more times and then told her he would record his words on his phone for the victim to show her "partner" — a reference to partner violence.

The judge conditionally discharged Brisbois, meaning he won't have a criminal record if he completes a three-year probation. This includes only possessing and using a weapon in accordance with police requirements and directives during working hours, as well as staying 500 meters away from any place where he knows his ex-partner might be, including the Ottawa police station where she works.

During the sentencing, Brisbois' lawyer, Sean May, questioned the 500-meter restriction. According to the hearing protocol, he asked for an exception "in accordance with a safety plan that may be introduced by the police service" if Brisbois and his ex are in the same building.